Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Smashed, Obliterated, Destroyed




About 7pm tonight, my doorbell rang. As much as I have warned and scolded Cooper, he ran to the door and opened it to a complete stranger, but I was right behind him. A women, giggling nervously said, "I hit your mailbox; I'm so embarrassed". I just looked at her, not really knowing what to say because she kept laughing and repeating the fact she had hit the mailbox. She said it was because she was putting lotion on her hands and the steering wheel slipped. What? (I couldn't really envision it, but that's nothing new) She apologized over & over again and told me she would pay for any repairs or replacements. So, I went & got a piece of paper and she wrote down all her information. Then I walked outside to see a large black truck with a very memorable license plate in front what used to be my & my neighbor's mailboxes. If you look at the above left picture you can see 3166 on the mailbox (laying on the sidewalk). The completely flattened black box beneath it? My neighbors mailbox. The iron mail stand was partially ripped out of the cement and layed flat. The lid to the flattened mailbox was lying about 5 feet away.
The gal said she had to go, so I told her I would tell my neighbor. It's odd having to deliver news like that. My neighbor Mary & I just stood there looking at our old, trusty mailboxes for a long time until two other neighbors joined us. Talise, a beautiful 11-year-old from across the street, came to see and Stephanie, a friend from 2 doors down came to ask if we needed help. We told her it was o.k., but she went home and had her husband take a look. He said he would take in the stand and his company would make it as good as new (a lot less expensive to the driver than a new, custom made stand). I really felt the blessing of living in a good neighborhood tonight. Stephanie & Bryce have a lot on their plate right now, but they still reached out to us over something quite trivial. Now, if only I could be here tomorrow when the mailman comes to see the look on his face!

3 comments:

Ashley Wray said...

Just wanted to let you know I didn't even get close to hitting your mailbox when I left 2 weeks ago! I checked and double checked as I was backing out!It seems this lady really drilled it! Maybe the mailman will bring your mail right up the door the old fashion way!

adorable pearsons said...

WOW! That was a good hit. How much lotion does that lady need at one time? Have you ever heard from the lady? Good luck with the mail box!

Atkins Family said...

Hey Leslie!!

I was so happy to hear from you! Of course I remember Misti's wiser and more beautiful sister. Remember how you reminded me how homely looking we were growing up in the card you gave me for my bridal shower? I found it the other day and was so thankful to reminded. I didn't know Kurt served his mission here, where did he serve?
It was good to hear from you!

-Susan