Sunday, October 7, 2007

October 7, 2007

I have a lot to tell you, but let's start with my naughty mom moment of the week. Yesterday I did something I have never done in my life before. It all started out innocently enough. Kurt wasn't feeling well on the way home so we had to make a quick stop at a strip mall. One of the stores was Cost Plus Marketplace and I've had a number of people tell me they have the best ginger snap cookies during the holidays. So, I talked Kurt into stopping there. While Cooper & I were waiting for Kurt, we browsed through the store looking for the cookies and, as luck would have it, we found them (they even had samples and they ARE the best). I grabbed a package (fine, a tin) of them and as I turned toward the registers I noticed a fun Halloween display. Right in the front were six packs of a deliciously fall sounding beverage, pumpkin ale. My boys love to try the different kinds of Jones soda that come out at Halloween, so I thought they would love this since they both, but particularly Hunter, love the taste of pumpkin. I went to the cashier and bought my cookies and pop and then waited for Kurt at the front of the store. Once he found us, we went to the van where I proceeded to show him the fun new soda I had found (I don't drink pop, so it was just for the boys). I pulled out a bottle to see what the ingredients were, but there were none. Instead I found the following (summarized): The FDA urges pregnant women to avoid alcohol due to implications on the fetus (something like that). Uh oh...why is that on the bottle? I manically search the entire bottle and carton until I found further information on the bottom of the carton: Idioticstupidheads (or whatever the company's name was): making the best quality flavored beers for blah, blah, blah. I shockingly exclaim, "I just bought beer". Kurt starts to laugh and then asks if they carded me. Why did he have to bring that up? Now my focused shifted from being the worst mother in the history of the world to being the oldest looking 37 year old in the history of the world. Waaaaa, why didn't they card me? I want to be carded. At this point I begged Kurt to take them back so I wouldn't be completely engulfed in humiliation and, compassionately, he finally agreed. When he came back he told me the gal in front of him, who seemed to be quite young, was buying wine and the cashier didn't card her either. I don't know if that really happened, but I'm going to believe it...whatever it takes, right?

Other than that mother blunder (probably the queen of all blunders), I had some wonderful things happen this week as well. Tuesday was my ward's visiting teaching workshop. It was a lovely evening and I came away filling uplifted and determined to do better. Also, my friend Marie painted a picture for the evening...remember Marie the model look-a-like? Yep, she is super talented as well. Her piece was beautiful.

Then, yesterday & today was general conference. I love general conference for so many reasons. It's like I'm able to remove myself from the pressures of life for a few hours each day and revel in spiritual uplift, melodious interludes, and inspired instruction. Sunday is the best because I don't wear any makeup and I stay in my pj's (judge if you want, it's magical). It's so cozy to have my little family of four cuddled under blankets soaking in spiritual warmth. No video games, homework, housework, phone calls....just the four of us, embracing truth.

5 comments:

Marie said...

It's good to know that now you only buy beer on accident--you're doing much better.

Also, I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to talk to you at the VT Conference. I thought I'd see you afterwards getting refreshments, but I forget sometimes that you have self-control.

Lott said...

I'm glad you didn't break up with me. I don't have self-control when it comes to dessert, but I thought it was cheesecake and I DID break up with cheesecake.

DJ Fairhurst said...

Don't feel too bad. One time I used a pillow to hold in Kierra's binky (apparently a no, no). Another time I locked her in the car. And yet another time I hit her soft spot with a racquetball (don't ask). So, you shouldn't feel too bad. You also shouldn't inform social services.

Lott said...

DJ,

You sure know how to make a girl feel better. I would have been satisfied after the binky example!

I won't tell if you don't, Leslie

sheena said...

Leslie! Tears! I love this beer buying story. Don't feel bad at all though. My husbands grandparents like a fine wine every now and then. We were all out for a big family dinner and no one was watching my nephew....so he decided to take a little swig of papa's soda.

So see....at least your kids didn't get drunk.