Monday, October 22, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandma!

Today is my grandma's birthday and I wish I could be there celebrating with her today, but since that isn't possible I thought I would share some of my memories and feelings about her.

Growing up, we would go to my grandma's home on West Hill to celebrate. Her house was big and I was always afraid of the downstairs. There was a bathroom downstairs that had wallpaper created from covers of TIME magazine....those covers were creepy, other than that, I just loved being at her house. There were (and still are) always treats on hand that we were welcome to. She has always been a very generous person.

When our house caught on fire, I remember going to her home and watching from the hill as smoke billowed around our house. The comfort and warmth my grandmother provided that night eased some of the panic I felt.

She is very funny. I've heard the story about her packing her groceries into her car and then realizing she forgot to bag them. I also heard she ran over someone's foot (?). I love it when she calls overalls, "overhauls".

She loves me with all my faults and doesn't expect me to change. She taught me how to play pinochle...which is one of the funnest games around. She has survived the loss of most of her family, but still faces life with vigor and humor. She is smart...really smart. How many grandmas do you know who have taught themselves how to run a computer or who will knock a hole in a wall when they want built-in shelves? Well, mine does!

I could go on & on, but she is also humble and will be embarrassed enough as it is. I miss & love you grandma. Happy Birthday!

No comments: