Sunday, November 4, 2007

November 4, 2007


It's November...I'm not kidding. It's also daylight savings, the good one where you get to sleep in and magically you wake up it's still a decent wake-up time. Except for my husband who is still sleeping (10am daylight time & 11am regular time).

I've already discussed Halloween, but you have to love the picture of my 2 nieces in their giraffe costumes. Aren't they the cutest? Either they are holding hands or their hands are so sticky they're stuck together.

I had a minor embarrassing moment this week. I have them all the time, but usually forget. I had a scholarhip luncheon. This luncheon is mandatory because donors want to meet their recipients. There were 450 people at this luncheon and we were assigned seating at tables of 10. I found my seat and one of my donors was sitting right next to me. The V.P. of the college of education was at my table and the other 7 were scholarship recipients whose donors couldn't be there for one reason or the other. As we're chatting, I notice on the placecard with my name on it is the letter "V" (or roman numeral 5) in parenthesis. I look at all the other placecards and they don't have that symbol. Images of impromptu speeches or having to sit on a block of ice or something start racing through my head. So, like the idiot I am, I ask the others at the table if any of them know what the symbol means. My very kind donor says it must mean VIP (trying to cover my ignorance no doubt). No one really knows.....until lunch is served. Oh yeah...I'm a vegetarian...DUH! You know that commercial where the gal says, "I'm a veteranarian, I don't eat meat"? That is how I was feeling. I bet my donor was so proud.

I've been eating a lot of candy lately and I feel pretty good about it. I look at it as a true act of charity for a couple of reasons. First, it would be wrong to throw it away food and all because it would be double the bulk at the dump. If I eat the candy, only the wrapper goes to the dump. It's all about the environment. Second, the more I eat the less my kids eat and lets face it...I'm the better brusher & flosser. I'm only thinking of my kids as I tiptoe to their rooms in the dark of night and wisk away the snickers & peanut M&Ms. Plus, what if they have a peanut allergy. I mean, they haven't so far, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Save your kids, save the environment, eat candy!

3 comments:

E-llo said...

I am all about saving the environment and my childrens teeth... bring on the CANDY!

Shannon said...

LOVE the pic...what cutie pies!!! ;)

Ashley Wray said...

Rylee and I have split her candy pretty evenly, I get all the chocolate and she gets all the smarties, we're both happy! But good for you and your vegetarianism and candyism:)