Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Naughty Teacher Day!

Start counting your blessings that I'm not your child's teacher. Monday, I started a new project with my 5th graders. I put them in groups, assigned them an author and books to read written by that author. They will research the author and give a presentation. During class I heard giggling from a small cluster of boys. Then, one of them came over and said, "Mrs. Lott, Jake (not real name) is looking an inappropriate pictures." I called Jake over. I had assigned him Hans Christian Anderson and he was reading The Emperors New Clothes...why didn't I think to look through the book first. That's right, front and center was a large picture of a man...buck naked from the back. Dang It!!! Naughty Teacher, Naughty Teacher!

Then, yesterday morning one of the 3rd grade teachers, who happens to be the mother of one of my students, was waiting at my classroom door. My mentor teacher was gone yesterday, so I was also the sub. When she realized that, she asked if I knew anything about the book project. NOT GOOD! I said I was actually in charge of it. She said, "My daughter is uncomfortable with the content of the book. There are swear words in it". Seriously? How embarrassing. I quickly switched her to a new author and gave her a different book.

A few of my students sit on balls instead of chairs because they fidget so much. Well, one of the students decided to secretly have students sign his ball yesterday. When I found what was going on, I told them to stop and if he wanted to do that, he would have to at recess. What was I thinking? At recess, he asked me to sign his ball. I felt so honored he would even asked. I signed it Mrs. Lott and put a heart in the place of the "o" (ps. I don't even really like hearts...they rank up there with teddy bears and rainbows). Yes...I actually signed the ball. Why didn't I think the whole thing through? You see...pretty much everyone used washable or semi-permanent markers. So, when he sat on the ball....marker got on his clothes. It was at that point I realized someone needs to smack me upside the head.

So...count your blessings. This naked promoting, potty mouth idiot won't be teaching your child!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is so funny cause you are the last person that would let kids look at naughty pictures.

E-llo said...

We all have those weeks, don't we? I honestly think you are going to be a great teacher! All teachers have had to iron out the wrinkles, this is your time to iron. ;)

Shannon said...

Hmmm..I like it! Will you teach one of my classes this semester? ;)