Monday, December 24, 2007

The spider chronicles continued




It happened again. I might end up with a lot of these stories. I was in the throws of the holiday spirit, cleaning up my mint fudge mess (with my tongue) and getting ready to make cookies when Cooper decided he wanted to go outside and play in the snow. I went into the entry way to help him find winter gear and then headed back into the kitchen. That is when I spotted the sneaky fiend. He was hiding in the upper corner of the ceiling between the entry way and kitchen. Why must they always hide above me, laying in wait to pounce?

Sidenote: Remember that show Extreme Makeover where people willingly allowed surgeons to cut them to shreds? I vaguely remember an episode where a lady had only clumps of hair on some area of her head because a poisonous spider had bitten her several times (I'm guessing while she was asleep). I think of that lady every time I see spiders and when they are hovering over me, visions of her pain flash in front of my eyes.

Back to topic: I couldn't ask Cooper to save me because it was too high and because he was heading outside where Kurt was waiting for him. Hunter was working, so I was once again forced to save myself. I got a fly swatter, eyed the position of the enemy, closed my eyes, gave a hard whack, and then jumped backward to safety. Unbelievably, like some kind of Christmas miracle, I killed it on the 3rd whack. The downside: it stuck up there...sick. There was no way I was getting it down.

Sometimes I wonder if I leave a dead spider smushed on the wall or ceiling...if its dastardly spider friends will get the message and pass it on to the colony. I wouldn't mind if they passed it on to all insects and rodents. Nonetheless, I thought it might take away from our Christmas Eve celebration to have a dead spider message on the ceiling, so Kurt got rid of it when he came in. My Hero!

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve!!!

No comments: