Sunday, September 16, 2007

Time Out for Women


Yesterday was the day. The day I've been waiting for since I moved here. I finally was able to go to Time Out for Women. A good friend of mine (Marie...pictured on the left) invited me to go with her and her husband's family, which I thought was very kind of her. I bet as you look at her picture you are probably thinking, wow...she looks like that model Hunter Tylo. The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it? That's probably because that actually is a picture of Hunter Tylo. The reason is simple, I was too embarrassed to ask anyone to take our picture, so a celebrity look-a-like will have to do. On the right hand is a picture of Kenneth Cope who spoke and sang to us at the event. Marie really wanted her picture taken with him, I had to save her from herself when she started crawling down the center aisle to thwart security to get a closer look. Fine...there was no security or crawling, but to make all of Marie's dreams come true, I downloaded her celebrity look-a-like with Kenneth Cope, sorry but it's the best I could do.
The event was fantastic. There were almost 3000 women there and, almost miraculously, when someone spoke the room was completely silent. See...we can be quiet when we want to. I was so glad Marie invited me when Mary Ellen Edmunds (a total riot) asked all the loners at the event to stand up...ouch, that had to hurt. That was very close to being me. Jane Clayson Johnson, who used to coanchor The Early Show, was one of the first speakers. Her talk was inspiring and entertaining, but I kept thinking about how many other stories she has from her years as an interviewer. I may have to get her book at some point. The other speakers included Stephen Robinson (Believing Christ), Christ Steward (The Great and the Terrible), and Sherri Dew (need I say more). I would encourage all of you to go to one of these if you have a chance. My only hope is they do one for couples that Kurt & I could go to!

No comments: