Sunday, September 9, 2007

September 9, 2007


I know that last post was long, but I wanted to do my weekly update as well. This week flew by, as usual. Of course, two days were taken up when I attempted to become a homemaker (revisit peach post). This week two money sucking things occcured. First, the freezer portion of my side by side broke. So, we had to get that fixed and it was a pretty penny. Then, my car started vibrating when I drove it. The last time that happened I ended up meeting my highway hero, so we took it in and, of course, it needed 2 new tires & an alignment. Kurt followed me & we dropped of the car. We were told it would take a couple hours. About five hours later, we called them (it was almost closing time) and they said they would be done in about 20 minutes. It takes about that long to get there, so all four of us headed over so we could hit the library on the way back. Hunter stayed with me & when we went in I noticed my car was still up on some magical pole. So I asked if it was about done and the guy said, "If I can get that mechanic to work as much as he talks, you'll be out of here in no time". What's that supposed to mean? Go tell him to quit talking. Well, I pried my nose off the observation window & Hunter & I went to the waiting area. The really nice thing about this company is they keep a homemade popcorn popper full of popcorn in the waiting area. The really nasty thing about this company is they don't give you any way to get the popcorn out (except your hands) or anything to put it in. Anyone with any sense of hand germs isn't going to take one single piece of popcorn. Luckily, it was only about 15 minutes until my name was called before I forked over my last kidney and headed out the door.
I also went shopping with my friend Sherri this week. I am the worst shopper, you can ask her or anyone else. I love to help other people spend their money, but heaven forbid I spend a dime of mine, unless it's on the necessities of life like food (a.k.a. cheesecake factory). Sherri found some very cute maternity clothes though...I kept my eyes open for Kelli. In imaginary money land, I would have bought her a ton of cute things.
Kurt & Cooper went on the ward campout Friday night (above photo). Unfortunately, as incredibly devastated as I was to miss it, I had an early morning luncheon with a group of ladies who awarded me a scholarship this year. When I was asked to come to the luncheon, it was made very clear to me that the ladies really wanted to see who their money was going to. I wouldn't have to do anything but just show up. It was at a country club I had never been to and so I left early enough to find it. These ladies were so nice, they were part of Alpha Delta Kappa, a sorority of retired and current teachers. The food was good and the company was wondeful, but there was one downside to the affair. Remember how I wasn't supposed to do anything but show up? Well, that wasn't quite true. After the guest speaker was through (V.P. of the college of education at BSU) she said, "Well, you've heard enough from me. I'm sure the real person you want to hear from is Leslie, so I'll turn the time over to her". What???? That's right, impromptu speech. Worst nightmare right?
Other than that, still working on my domestication badge (picking up on some scout lingo). I cleaned, cooked, did homework, and decorated for Fall. My cousin Ryan was over and he said, "Leslie, what month is this"? I told him September. He said, "What month is Halloween in"? I was thinking, this kid needs some major help in the area of months of the year, but I just told him October. Then he said, "Why in the world do you have Halloween decorations up when it's only September?" I get it, he was making a point. Too bad it was lost on me!
One more thing. Hunter bought a new cell phone this week which become a new appendage. We were sitting on the couch & I got up to do something. As I stood up, he literally jumped into a protective crouch over his cell phone. When I looked at him with arched eyebrows, he said, "I'm very protective of this phone. I spent my own money on it and don't want anything to happen to it. It's different when you have to spend your own money on something; it's even more valuable". I thought that was very perceptive and may come in useful in the future (for myself and for him).

1 comment:

adorable pearsons said...

popcorn + automechanic.....no thanks