Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dear Elle

Dear Elle:

I'm in a quandry and need your advice. This year I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house and I'm worried some family members won't bring their portion of the dinner. What if one of our most treasured dishes is forgotten? Please help!

Your most devoted follower,
Turkey Lover
Dear Turkey Lover,

I've come up with a plan you just might be gutsy enough act on. I'm guessing you are worried about specific family members who tend to not follow through. Here's the Plan:
  • When the assignments are made, call flaky guest and gushily tell him/her how excited you are that he/she is coming and how you look forward to tasting their version of a Thanksgiving family favorite.

  • Tell everyone that Thanksgiving is 15 minutes earlier than you tell flaky guest...this is critical to the next part of the plan.

  • Let the other guests know that when flaky guest arrives you will all chant "turkey, turkey, turkey" or whatever the assigned dish(es) is.

  • The last part of the plan also involves advanced organization. Get a group of somewhat small children and one dramatic adult to practice crying and throwing fits. If flaky guest arrives withOUT the beloved food item, have the group go into hysterics, crying loudly for their ever-hoped for food item.

If this fabulous plan does not work, you may just have to have a heart to heart with flaky guest. I hope all your Thanksgiving food dreams come true.

Elle



3 comments:

E-llo said...

That is funny! A little passive-aggressive but funny! Hope your thanksgiving is a good one!

Lott said...

Someone else told me I was passive aggressive once. Are you here for Thanksgiving? Your house or somewhere else?

E-llo said...

Somehow this push-over with a dying need to please everyone got roped into having dinner at my house. It will be only 15 people. It could have been worse. :) I take it your having dinner at your house? It will be yummy, cuz of your mad cooking skills.