Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Creepy Fun




While my grandma was here, we went to the Old Penitentiary for a self-guided tour. It was my first time and I loved it. I might be a prison junkie..we'll see. There was a sense of despair and darkness that was almost tangible and Cooper picked up on it right away. The room above is a death row room. I found it interesting that those who are on death row get a cell to themselves while regular male & female prisoners lived 4 to a room. The women's cells were tiny, but there was a garden around the female prison so they could go out and tend it.
The most difficult room was the observation room to the gallows. Cooper really didn't like being in there, it just felt too intense. I really want to go at Halloween, although I'll probably be too scared. If you come to Boise, give me a call...we have a spare room and we'll take a little trip to the Old Idaho Penitentiary.

4 comments:

Keidi02 said...

Grandma looks a little too natural behind bars.

Emily N. said...

You should go to Alcatraz sometime since you thought the whole penitentiary thing so interesting. That is super spooky--and creepy!

Mike and Kelli said...

The whole five years we lived in Boise I never did the tour. Mike did it with our dad, his dad and his grandma and they loved it. We have similar behind bars photos. That would be such a fun YM/YW Halloween activity. Hmmm... I wonder if our ward has the funds for a trip to Boise. :)

E-llo said...

I have lived here forever and have never done that. It looks like a fun time! I am suprised that you didn't see any spiders! Other than the obvious reason of being a good girl, the bathroom situation has kept me out of prison.