Sunday, August 17, 2008

Still around....kind of


I wouldn't consider this past week one of my best...nor my worst, but more towards worst on the horrible spectrum. After much anticipation and avoidance, I had my kidney stone blasted. I have one kidney, which means doctors sometimes overreact when I come walking through the door. What I didn't know is they also ignore your wishes sometimes. Once I found out about the stone, my urologist (the name says it all) really urged me to have lithotripsy. My dad has had this done several times and always looks like he is on some post-op tropical vacation afterward, so I wasn't extremely worried. My biggest concern, by far, was not wanting a stent placed in me during the surgery. I made my desires completely clear...crystal, talked to the surgical doctor and everything. I also stated if a stent had to be placed, that it be one I could remove.
Fast Forward, Wednesday, Doomsday: I go in and get comfy...totally comfy if you get my drift. I'm laying on the bed post-IV insertion when the nurse brings me a form to sign...a stent consent form. WHAT? Dirty rotten trick I tell you. The doctor I explicitly stated all my desires to had to go out of town and this was a different doctor, whom I have yet to meet. I told the nurses I didn't want a stent and they (I'm sure in complete internal hysterics) wrote in the word "possible" before "stent" as if I didn't know they're games. Then, they gave me a happy drug.
Fast Forward, Wednesday, the real Doomsday: Something I should have taken into consideration when using my dad as the pain example. This is the same man who walked around on a broken foot for weeks and who finished a softball game after getting a concussion. OUCH!!! I was in pain and nauseous and angry because there was a stupid stent inside of me and all I could do was curl up in a ball...kidding, that hurt too...and wish the minutes away. I feel better now, but not great. Still nauseous, dizzy, a little pain, and always feel like I need to go to the bathroom. One more thing...the stent, not the kind I can take out. So, I get to look forward to some clawlike contraption going the wrong direction on a one way avenue to retrieve a foreign object placed by an alien doctor. Until then...try to make do and somehow get back to taking care of life again.
I'm really working on not being angry and being grateful my kidney stone is demolished.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope you are doing better and shame on the doc for not listing to you

Ludvigson Family said...

At least the stone is gone, but I would be a little upset at the Dr. too.

Susan F. said...

I wish I could be there to help out a bit. I am sure it isn't much fun dealing with pain and nausea while you are trying to attend training. And... Dad may be able to recover quickly and handle pain- but he doesn't usually do what the drs ask. So don't try to be like him in that way.
Love ya
Mom

E-llo said...

I have been thinking about you all weekend!!!! I haven't come to see you because you said you don't like people seeing you in pain. It has taken all of my power to not bring you some chocolate and at least some water (although you might want something stronger hehe). I will be a total downer, who cares about the stone - dang doctor for not listening to you! I don't like him AT ALL! :)

Mike and Kelli said...

Yuck-I feel so bad for you. I hope you start feeling better and reallllly hope you put that Dr in his place and then blog about it. Do it!
Kelli

sheena said...

oh I'm so so sorry.....I hear this is the worst pain in the world. Worse than child birth, plus you don't get a baby.

and the word urologist gives me the shivers.