Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Better Late than Never




The deed is done. A week and a half ago my parents, sister & her family, Kurt's parents, Jim & his family, my mentor teacher, and my Uncle Ray all came to celebrate my graduation. This was also the day my Dad became my graduation superhero. Here's the situation:
I'm in the staging area (a gym where chairs are set up exactly like our actual graduation will look) and I'm a marshall. Picture in your head a student wearing a Q-tip hat, carrying a flag in one hand and a baton in the other. That wasn't me. Basically, I led one row (out of 4) from the college of education . What that means, is when my partner (who really was carrying a flag) and I came to the entrance of the area, everyone could see she & I first. So, as we are in the staging area I start to realize I'm one of the few people who brought a purse. I only have one purse and it's big and brown. So, I went up to one of the event administrators and asked where I should put it. Bad news: she said there was no where to put it, I'd have to carry it with me. Wouldn't that look pretty? I'd be remembered as "that one girl who carried her big, brown purse throughout her graduation march".
I borrowed a cell phone and called Kurt's. My dad answered and I asked him to please come & get my purse, explaining where he would have to go. He said he would be there as soon as possible. Little did I know that they weren't even at the arena yet. They were stuck in traffic a mile away. My thoughtful father jumped out of the van, in traffic, and ran all the way to the arena. I didn't find that out until later. Then, once he got my purse, he could never find every one else again. So, he stood watching my graduation all by himself....carrying a rather large brown purse the entire time. He was also the only one to find me afterward.
So, thanks Dad for saving my impeccible reputation and for wearing a purse for almost 3 hours. Thanks to everyone else for supporting me on that special day!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You dad is a wonderful person, as well as you mom. You have a great family I like to say you are my second family. Love Niki

Jill said...

Your dad is the best! I can just picture him running to save you and standing proudly with your bag. The thought makes me laugh. Congrats!

Jason & Jennifer Lott said...

Congrats! I'm sure he looked great with that bag on his shoulder, what a great dad.

adorable pearsons said...

Way to go DAD! Secretly, I bet he enjoyed carrying that brown purse around. I think he has always wanted to support the 'man' bag look.

Emily N. said...

Congratulations! What an accomplishment! And here's to great graduation stories. They make the otherwise totally boring event worth talking about.

Ashley Wray said...

Congrats Leslie! What an accomplishment! And your dad, what a guy! I don't think many men are the secure with themselves to hold a big brown purse for 3 hours! Go Fred!

Ludvigson Family said...

Trust good old Fred to save the day! What an awesome dad! Taking my purse is totally something I would do. Anyway~ congratulations on such a great achievemen!