Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 25, 2008














A long time ago, in a land far, far away, lived a young princess....fine, girl, who desperately wanted to have her ears permanently adorned. With a group of other young women, she flew to the exotic city of Billings where upon she discovered a quaint kiosk catering to fair maidens who wanted ear bobbles. Excitedly, she called her mother and begged permission for this intricate endeavor and, after much debate and many tears, her mother granted her request. With all her dreams lying directly in her path, she approached the master technician, only to have her wishes dashed as this procedure was only done on young, fair maidens if a legal guardian signed a contract of services.


Alright, so that's a little melodramatic, but eventually...about a year later...I did get my ears pierced. I, being the rule follower that I am, turned them 3 times a day, made sure to use my cleansing solution, and wanted 3 months before removing the studs to replace them with a cute pair of my choice (probably Papa Smurf earrings or something). The first time I didn't wear earring for a day, a thin layer of skin formed in the hole (hope you aren't eating) and I had to poke through it. Ouch! Well, that led to an infection and eventually it wasn't worth it to me and I let the holes fill in.


The 2nd time, I was around 18 or 19 and really wanted to wear earrings, so I gave it another chance. The first bad omen was when the technician pierced one ear below the previous hole mark...pretty. I dutifully took care of my ears and left the posts in for 1 YEAR before removing them, but guess what. If I didn't wear earrings every night I would get that thin layer of skin growth again. I'm some kind of self-healing freak. Maybe that's my super power.



So, I resigned myself to never have pierced ears again. Then, as if the universe couldn't stand my bare ears, I had a brilliant possibility consume my thoughts. What if I got my ears pierced, then as soon as I was done with the studs, I replaced them with real diamond studs and left them in FOREVER!! So, I shared that plan with a few people, including my hubby and let it simmer. My wish came true on my birthday. My mom bought me diamond studs (no, not men dressed in diamond clothing...the ear kind). Then, after some advice from the jewelry clerk, I decided to go to a tattoo parlor and get my ears pierced with a hollow point needle (I'm the bravest...another super power) and skip the cheap studs altogether.


After talking to the piercing guy who obviously used his own body as a practice mat, I decided to go cheap first. Luckily there was a Walmart nearby and a certain sister & mother prodding me with a branding iron. Once again, I have pierced ears, but this time they are patiently waiting for their prince charming...a true diamond stud.

3 comments:

Jill said...

What a lucky girl to get diamond studs, the earring variety! Hopefully your plan works flawlessly.

Ashley Wray said...

I hope those diamond studs find their way to your ears real soon! You are so brave! I keep wanting to get Rylee's pierced, but I remember how scared I was as a 12 year old, I don't think I could put her through that!

Ludvigson Family said...

~maybe the third try will be a charm! Kennedi has just been asking me about getting her ears pierced, I hope we don't have an ordeal like you've had with yours. It doesn't sound like much fun.

ps
The school carnival looked like quite a party! Come on, I know deep down you are a carnival rat!

Any word on the little boy who was missing? He is the cutest kid ever! I hope he is returned safely to his dad.So sad.