Sunday, March 16, 2008

March 16, 2008





Yesterday was my Dad's birthday. I tried to call, but they must have been partying it up. I have the greatest dad around and nobody can tell me any different. There were a few times he may have pushed a few buttons. Like the time he invited one of his fellow firefighters over for dinner. I had just started wearing a bra. I sat a little too close to my dad and during dinner he reached over, snapped my bra, and said, "My little girls' growing up". (something like that) I was so mortified.
Or the time my dad, Uncle Bill, cousin Paula and I went to the premier of the movie Nerds or Return of the Nerds. There was a radio DJ in the auditorium promoting the movie. My cousin & I went out to get some treats and when we walked back in, my dad got the whole audience to chant, "Nerds, Nerds, Nerds" and point at us. Embarrassing.
I could tell all sorts of stories like that, but the truth is I adored my dad and still do. I like to show him off when he is here. I remember when he was going into schools as "Fireman Fred" to promote fire safety education. I would just beam when he came over and patted me on the back. I was so proud of him. That is how I feel when he comes to visit me now.
I know I can never repay my parents for all they have done for me and taught me, but I can certainly try to be the kind of person they would want me to be. Happy Birthday Dad!
Some other little tidbits from my week:
  • I taught the preamble to my 5th graders and let them listen to the song. Somehow they decided they wanted me to sing it, so they started yelling my name and begging. Stubborn Mrs. Lott reared her ugly head with an emphatic..I don't think so!
  • My church ward changed which is very exciting. My new ward is sherbet, I mean Sherbrooke ward
  • Tomorrow is St. Paddy's day and my brother Kevin's birthday. Don't forget to wear green and wish my brother a big happy birthday.

4 comments:

Ludvigson Family said...

I absolutely love your dad! He is so down to earth and has the best sense of humor! He was great in the Stake Presidency! i bet they miss him in Montana.

ps
I like your blog's new look!

E-llo said...

Your dad looks like a fun guy! He sounds like quite a tease. I am really going to miss all of you guys on Sunday when we really have church, sniff. Maybe we will see each other during the over-lap.
Happy St. Patty's Day.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say Thank You your words make me feel better.

ejnorton said...

Fred...what can I say about that guy? He is one of the best people a person could know--even if he is a bit of a loose cannon. I would not want to get into some kind of prank war with him because he would so win!

Tell him hello for me when you head to Denver in just a bit!