Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Little Activist




Cooper is precious, but sometimes precious still gets you into trouble. He and a friend have started a wildlife club. In fact, on our front door at this very moment is a sign with a picture of a white tiger that says, "Nature Savers Inc.: 'Don't kill this animal'". Yesterday his wildlife saving friend came over and then they went outside to play. I started making dinner in the kitchen and the time flew by. When I looked at the clock, it was an hour past the time Cooper was supposed to be in for the night.




I went upstairs, downstairs, to the back yard, in the front yard, all the time yelling his name. No Cooper. I walked down the street toward some other children's homes. Nothing. I called his friend's mom who said they were supposed to be at my house (I'm sure she now holds me in high regard). I started calling other friends in the neighborhood. Finally, one gal told me she saw Coop and a friend standing next to Eagle road (an intensely busy road adjacent to our house).




He isn't supposed to be on that road...ever. So, I walked outside and, sure enough, there they were...holding signs....and yelling things at the cars. As I got closer, I noticed Coop had his sidewalk chalk case with him. He was so happy. He couldn't wait to tell me what he'd been doing, BUT he had to because he was in big trouble. So, once we got in, even though he was grounded for 2 days, he was smiling and happy because he did something that felt really good. He & his friend made signs asking the good people of Meridian to NOT kill the white tiger. He drew messages on the sidewalk and they yelled at the cars, "Save the wildlife".




I asked him what he wrote on the sidewalk and he said he wrote, "Don't kill the wildlife. You're wildlife". Hmmm...where did that kid come from . Even though I'm proud that he stood up for something important, he did still break 2 rules...thus the grounding. So, on behalf of my little activist, if you see any white tigers lurking around, please don't kill them. Thank you.

6 comments:

Keidi02 said...

Dang it! I ate two white tigers last night, don't tell coop.

Mike Lozano said...

What have you done to this child?! Kids at his age should be hunting animals not saving em. I'm pretty sure Mike Lozano's "Down w/ the Treehugger" weekend program can fix him.

E-llo said...

How cute is he? That is awesome that he has learned that he has a voice and it is good to share it. I am glad I read this because I just saw a white tiger in my back yard (I think it belonged to Sigfreid and Roy) and I was about to call my hubby to come and kill it. That was a close one!

Jill said...

I promise to do my part and not kill any white tigers that come my way.

Brie said...

What a great kid! Are orange and black tigers okay to hunt, or are they off limits, too?

Shannon said...

Oh, that is SO cute!!!