Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Trek



In June, Hunter transformed into a pioneer...a military pioneer to be exact. I don't really think he was supposed to take on the roll of a military pioneer, but the only pants we had were camo. I was so proud of Hunter for doing this and grateful to his leaders for all the hard work they put in to making this a success.
For the four day long trek, he was allowed to bring supplies that would fit in a 5 gallon bucket, a sleeping bag, and a water bottle. No cell phones were allowed (or other electronic appendages). I really thought Hunter would have texting withdrawal. I expected a phone call in the middle of the night asking me to meet someone at the hospital due to the fact Hunter had gone into convulsions and his fingers were locked in a partially bent position, but it didn't happen. He made it 4 days without a cell phone.
During the trek they were rained on, snowed on, and then endured high temperatures...basically the 4 seasons in one short span of time. He had to push a handcart many miles everyday. I don't know if I could do it, but Hunter excelled and had a wonderful time. What a wonderful way for people to realize all the luxuries we have and to gain some appreciation for those who prepared the way for us.

2 comments:

E-llo said...

I think it is awesome that the kids get to do this! Even better that we didn't have to! :) These kids are so strong! Way to go Hunter.

Ashley Wray said...

Good job Hunter! We did one of those back in the day and I'm pretty sure I whined the ENTIRE time! And this was back before cell phones, so I was probably missing my rubix cube or something!