Sunday, February 19, 2012

K-12 Library Site Wishlist

Fairly quickly after being hired as an elementary librarian, I began the hunt for websites that could help me figure out my job.  What I found out is there is a shortage of K-12 library sites that are truly helpful.  I have tried to start a site of my own, but time is limited between my job and classes and life, so here is my top 5 wishlist for a library site (hopefully mine):

1. Straight forward, easy navigation design.  I have found so many sites with links that stretch for miles and graphics that pulsate and chime.  Way too distracting for me! Once a simple, easy to follow design is set up, the rest is cake.

2.A link for the schools OPAC with a way to reserve books.  I allow my 4th-6th graders to hold books on OPAC.  This makes my job a little easier as I'm not having to hunt down books because they already have reserved what they wanted.  I love reserving my books on our public library site for Great Falls.

3. I love me a good research database.  I think all library websites should have links to school research databases.  The issue here is, of course, money.  We pay for our databases and we can't let any Joe off the street use them, so there has to be a login of some kind. 

4. Book recommendations organized by grade level and enhanced by book trailers.  I know, I cheated.  I lumped two together, but it's my wishlist so I get to do what I want.  I would have to get recommendations from a variety of people because my own recommendation list would be a bit prejudicial.  I would also love the books to be current as there are always new books to take for a drive.

5. Big 6 and Super 3 lesson planning ideas.  This is just a personal request.  Coming up with lesson plans out of thin air can be frustrating and is freakishly time consuming.  I've yet to find a site with dynamic teaching ideas and I know I'm not the only librarians who is looking for them.

There you go.  The list you've all been wondering about.  Fine...the list I was asked to post, but it has been on my mind and now it will be my go to list when I get the time to work a little bit on my own site.

1 comment:

Anne Kish said...

Leslie, I said I couldn't comment on your blog, so I sent you an email about how to get a database at no charge to your school. However I checked back and I can comment on your blog, so no worries -- must've been a glitch in the matrix!