Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The different faces of Parent Teacher conferences


Being a teacher isn't easy.  Being a parent isn't easy.  At least four times a year the challenges of those two roles converge as children and parents and teachers meet to discuss student progress (academic, social and behavioral).  Keep in mind those are 12 hour days teachers are putting in trying to create the best educational team possible for each student.  Tonight, as I tried to tackle one of my many library to-do lists, I took some time to observe the  trek families made down the halls of our school and how each one was so unique.

I watched some parents being pulled with excessive force by children who couldn't wait a second longer to jump into the throws of their conference, knowing it would be full of positive praise and glowing test scores.  Oh how blessed those parents and children are.  I watched some children sit on benches outside the classroom, head down, smile gone, trying to disappear inside themselves as parents sat solemn faced waiting for the doomed news they knew would be given.  My heart goes out to those families. 

I watched some children come with an aunt, grandmother or grandfather because there wasn't a parent to take them.  With just slight disappointment they eagerly headed to their teacher, who also helps meet the caretaking role for these little lambs.  Oh how I want to wrap my arms about them and tell their guardians thank you...thank you for stepping up and caring.  Then there are the invisible.  Invisible children, invisible parents who cannot make it for many different reasons, but who really should be there.  Oh how I wish they were.  I wish they knew how important they are, the children and the parents. 

Finally, after 12 hours of constant movement, I walk the halls to head home.  There are still many teachers trying to prepare for the next day.  They've congratulated, communicated, tenderly explored, and sadly related diverse tales to one group after the next.  I see them, day after day, doing the best they can while they are disparaged by the public and completely taken for granted.  The next time you see a parent, cut them some slack.  The next time you see a child, give them a smile.  The next time you see a teacher, show a little gratitude.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Leslie,

You are so awesome and I am so proud of you. You are definitely an example to me! You rock!