Sunday, December 7, 2008

Receivers

I'm a receiver. I don't like it most of the time. There are some debts with which I'm grateful for and realize I can never repay. My debt to my Heavenly Father for all the earthly joy and spiritual understanding he gives me. My debt to Jesus Christ for living in a way as to always be both my savior and my mediator. My debt to my parents who have spent & still spend countless time, money, and other resources on me and I'm sure I caused them more than their fair share of worry and trepidation. Well, the list is long.


For some reason, I've had to live with the challenge of unemployment numerous times. This has also put me in the receiver position in an uncomfortable way. It is VERY hard for me to take things from people. Luckily, the people who really know me are very aware of this and give in a subdued way. Don't get me wrong, I'm still so grateful, but it's just a little embarrassing. I guess it's that dumb pride thing.


This past weekend I was the ultimate receiver. It seems I'm incredibly loved. Here are just a few things I received over the weekend:



The gift of service from my husband. You are going to be so jealous. He got the expensive parts for our dishwasher, then, saved us at least $100 by downloading diagrams, pulling the dishwasher apart, and fixing it himself. How manly is that?



The gift of entertainment: When Kurt's job lost him, I put our beloved NetFlix on hold. Oh how we have missed it. Those little red envelopes showing up in the mail offset the junk mail and bills. Well, my incredibly kind grandmother bought us 2 months of NetFlix just because. It was an unexpected pleasure.



The gift of memories: We received our Christmas package from my parents. Along with the wrapped gifts were goodies, stickers, a DVD, and THE ORNAMENT. When the boys & I went to Colorado Springs last spring break, my parent's took us to the Michael Garman Studio. We had a fabulous time. At one point Cooper & I were looking at one area of the miniature building when an older gentleman began to explain how special effects were used in some areas of the building. It was very interesting and then he left. A little while later we were watching a video and the artist, Michael Garman, appeared on the screen. Lo and behold it was the same man we were speaking to earlier. We were so excited. He came out and my Dad introduced himself and we all got autographs. Cooper has talked about him off & on since. When Coop saw the ornament, he quickly went upstairs and got his autographed Garman catalog to browse through it once more and locate our precious ornament.

We also received a special gift from Kurt's parents which will help us a great deal. So, I guess I will always be a receiver. I know it's a blessing and it definitely keeps me humble, but, at some point, I want to be a giver because I know how much joy givers have brought to my life.

8 comments:

Susan F. said...

We are all truly receivers- including receiving all the many gifts you give to our family. I know its easier to give- but we all...ALL... have to take turns being receivers.
We love you

Mike Lozano said...

I remember being in middle school and someone did the "secret santa" thing to us. I was so embarrassed. That has always stuck with me. Now the only thing that I enjoy receiving is money from Jamie that goes towards her car payment.

Brie said...

I'm grateful that you are an incredibly kind giver, too. :)

Alicia said...

You are amazing and I love you. Thanks for being such a kind, humble person.

A side note, what is the deal with the floating head in the RS newsletter?

Emily N. said...

I really appreciate your thoughts. It is so true that none of us can give in the way that we are given to by so many—most notably the Lord.

I thinking of you and praying that your burdens will be lightened and your prayers will be answered.

adorable pearsons said...

I think receiving material things is really hard. I am having to learn, the hard way, to accept. My personality tends to push away every offer....something to work on!

Mike and Kelli said...

Try to remember that one of the reasons you receive so much in your times of need is because you are very generous. Even when you are struggling you are thinking of others and trying to find ways to share what you have. Don't make me give specific examples (b/c I know you would be mortified)!

E-llo said...

You are so nice! It's ok to receive once in a while. You deserve it.