Monday, June 8, 2009

EDITH!

Meet the moving truck driver. You may recognize him. We had the pleasure of interacting with this crusty on the outside, somewhat mushy on the inside with a dash of boundary issues persona during our manic move to Montana.

The day before the movers were supposed to show up, I received a call from the mover's office telling me our driver would be contacting us by 3pm that afternoon to let us know when he was going to show up on move day..Friday. Of course, there was no phone call, so we figured they were running late and would show until about noon on Friday. Keep in mind, we had all of our things boxed up and ready to throw in the truck.

Friday morning, with a stomach full of agitation, I got up and started getting ready. I happened to walk past the front room window when low & behold a HUGE moving semi rounded the corner. I ran to check the time: 8:05 am. Kurt & I about fell over. This began our adventure with Archie. He was a mumbling, grumbling kind of guy who brought 2 box lifters with him. He would throw little jabs at them here & there and then talk about how marvelous they were. I read you are supposed to feed the movers if they are there during meal time, so I asked if they would like some donuts. Archie replies, "What kind of donuts? I'm very picky about the type of donuts I'll eat." I told him I was headed to Krispy Kreme and, with a glint of a grin he said, "Those are the only type of donuts I like. Want me to ride along with you?".

Well that threw me for a loop. Come with me? That wasn't going to happen and when I started listing all the places I needed to go he stated, "Well, I better stay. I need to supervise the guys anyway". PHEW! After getting the donuts and drinks, I figured they would be out of there in a couple of hours. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would take them 8 hours to load my boxes. I quit feeding them, hoping the hunger would drive them. Sometimes I would hide in a vacant room, curl up in the fetal position, and rock away my worries. Meanwhile, Archie was telling Kurt to disassemble this & disassemble that and reminding the "lifters' that if they couldn't get it right he would have to show them how it's done. Oh my. When they finally left, a feeling of sweet relief washed over me, but Archie and I would meet again...on the other side of the mountain. To be continued....

1 comment:

adorable pearsons said...

Oh man I see where this is going- YOu, Archie, moonlight and candles! Uh oh- I sure hope Kurt can take Archie down!