Monday, March 14, 2011

Ontongeny and the Man Child


Hunter is in such a strange position in life.  He purports independence yet clings to playful opportunitites.  He stands at the fork of a road, not knowing where to take his next step.  I remember when he was a child, standing between my car and my parents house, sobbing because he couldn't decide whether to stay with Grandma & Grandpa, or come home with me.  This happened frequently and I was always perplexed by the situation. Yet, the past 7 months have found him in this same place.  I have been heartsick, wanting him to plant his feet, to take a stand, to commit. 


Today he did.  It was his choice, his decision and I had to let go of my immediate hopes for him and recognize the importance of this  moment.  He took a step down his path.  I could read it all over his face, the weight of this choice.  There will definitely be refining moments ahead as he works his way through boot camp and tech school, but those moments are necessary for growth.  My prayer for him is when the fire gets hot and the path gets lonely, he will turn to the one and only being who can bring peace and comfort to his soul, his Savior, Jesus Christ.

Hunter has so much to offer, so much to give. He will accomplish anything he sets his mind to.  This is his time to realize his potential, the potential I have seen all along. 

No comments: